Sunday, January 08, 2006

Good night, and good luck

Saw this film today and loved it. Very well done, not at all preachy and it assumes that the audience has a little intelligence and some knowledge of the McCarthy era. And it's very relevant to the world today. Both in the climate of fear that McCarthy took advantage of and the use of television to inform and not just entertain. Clooney really is a talented so and so. I knew that he directed the film but had forgotten that he also wrote it.

My favourite line by Murrow in the film was : We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.

I feel this is something that pinpoints one of the many scary things going on in the world. Freedom of speech and thought and belief is something worth fighting for.

I wandered into town afterward to see if I could find a book about McCarthy and that era. Nothing to be found but I did pick up Tell me no lies by John Pilger which is about investigative journalism and has a section on Murrow and McCarthy. I also found India : A history which looked quite good. The popped into work for an hour or so to tidy up some stuff. I really can't wait to change jobs...

Right, ironing and maybe I'll start sort out some stuff to throw out. I need to start clearing out all my junk.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Clooney is talented and so much more ;-)

5:09 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home